sabato 31 marzo 2007

Itagaki a ruota libera

1UP intervista Itagaki, creatore di Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden (ora anche per DS) e gran capoccia del team Ninja.

1UP: What made you decide to do a Nintendo DS game now? I know you’ve always been a fan of Nintendo, so does it have anything to do with wanting to support their hardware, or the huge installed base? Enlighten us.

Tomonobu Itagaki: It’s not as though I’ve decided to make this because of the success of the DS. We originally announced our intent to create a title for the Nintendo DS back at E3 in 2004. I doubt anyone at that time could predict what would be successful and what wouldn’t. So why have I chosen to do a DS game? Simple: because of its originality. In the world of console gaming, hardware power rules all, but that is not the case in the world of portable gaming. People look for how the game feels to the touch, and the physical properties of the device itself become extremely important. That’s why I chose to announce that I would develop for DS back at that E3, even before I had seen the actual machine. So, why did I choose to do a portable game in the first place? This is also simple: to challenge myself. You might ask why I must do so, but that question would be foolish. Any creative endeavor must begin with a challenge. It took me 10 years to make the Dead or Alive series the number one fighting game on the planet. Making Ninja Gaiden the world’s finest action game was a bit quicker, yet it still took four years. There are obviously many reasons why I was able to create these two franchises. One thing that I can say is that, as a group of people that love to challenge ourselves, the hurdles that I set for our team when making these games were so high that we couldn’t help but be thrilled, and as a result the development process for each game was always very challenging. When I completed Ninja Gaiden in 2004, I immediately turned my thoughts to what I would challenge myself with next. I considered dominating a third genre on consoles, but that didn’t seem interesting enough. I wanted something that would make people say “Wow, Team Ninja can do this kind of game, too” when they saw my third major endeavor. However, what percentage of gamers do you really think would be surprised if I were to make an amazing FPS for consoles? Thus, I decided to take a broader view of gaming genres and make a first-rate game in the portable medium my third great challenge.


Perchè postare un intervista che non significa nulla? Perchè è divertente, perchè non si può non provare tenerezza per uno che crede fermamente che Dead or Alive non solo sia un picchiaduro ma che sia il migliore, che crede che Ninja Gaiden sia il miglior action della storia quando prende mazzate da diversi contendenti a destra e a manca (mi viene in mente Prince of Persia, God of War) e che la fa facile sull'idea di creare un fantastico FPS. Comunque ci ha promesso un grandissimo gioco su DS, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword. Come direbbe il buon vecchio Neo in Matrix, per Itagaki "comunque vada sarà un successo".




0 commenti: